It is 160 kilometres, about one and a half hour’s drive from Budapest on motorway M7. Parking: the car park in front of the visitor centre can accommodate 32 cars and 6 buses while 30 cars can park in the ruin site. Technical facilities on the spot: projector, canvas and sound system.
Saint Ladislaus founded the Benedictine monastery of Somogyvár on Kapuvárhegy in 1091. The storms of history left only some ruins of the one-time huge building complex. The ruins were opened to the public in 1991, on the 900th anniversary of the foundation. It was declared a historic memorial site in 1983. From the visitor centre inaugurated in December 2015, people can walk along a stepped forest pathway to approach the abbey ruin site where they can admire not only the full layout of the monastery but also the breath-taking panorama from the three-storey lookout tower.